Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome

At 14-1/2 years old, Chelsea, our wonderful chow mix has been diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. The vet put her on medication which seems to be mildly working but not enough to justify the price tag of the medication each month. A few months ago, she began to panic when we brought her inside the house. Chelsea has always been an inside dog, but since moving to the great Northwest, she began to spend more time outside. Which also meant I could let her coat grow back out and not shave it to the skin to keep her cool. So the time of her panic attacks began about the same time when we started to heat the house up to keep us warm this fall, so I thought maybe she was uncomfortable in the warm house in a heavy coat. But over time, the panic attacks are becoming worse and now she is acting out physically, trying to bite (but so far not breaking skin or bruising) every time I try to bring her in the house.

I can't bring myself to leave her outside, especially at night in the rain. I don't care if that is where she wants to be. It's not where I want her. So we battle this every night; the growling, the biting, the chewing and clawing at the door to get out. If I put her in her crate, she panics even worse and barks all night long.

Chelsea has been a wonderful companion to my husband and I for many years. She has seen us through dating, marriage, kid, dogs, 4 or 5 moves, lots of traveling, camping, hiking. She was our first "child" as a couple. We've had her since she was 5-1/2 weeks old. She has never shown any signs of aggression, has been mild-mannered, sweet, a good dog to mother the other dogs in our house and teach them right from wrong. So this behavior is not her. It's very sad to watch the pet that you love grow old.

So while we have this litter of new puppies, I thought I'd mention that they too will be old someday. In some ways, taking care of a puppy is easier than dealing with a dog that is physically fine, but has lost it mentally. So this is my challenge right now.

No comments: