Sunday, March 26, 2006

Another day, another medication

Poor Kishi. Over the past 6 years we have tried just about everything that is possible to relieve her scratching and itching. I took her to the vet on Friday for her annual blood test for her thyroid medication. Normally she wears an elizabethan collar to keep her from chewing on her body. I removed it since it was such a short trip and thought she could make it an hour or so without being self-destructive. But, of course, on her way there, she chewed two huge holes in her back. The vet looked at her and made a couple comments that I have thought for a long time. Chewing on herself is as much habit as it is allergy. Her skin looks healthy. In the areas that she can't reach to lick or chew, the hair is in, the skin looks good. But in any area that she can reach with the elizabethan collar on, it is black, scabbed and cracked and nasty looking. So, the vet suggested we try a different approach, keeping her on the medication that she is currently on, we have added an anti-depressant to see if we can break the obsessive-compulsive licking that she does. The pharmacist at Rite Aid looked at me like I was a little silly when I dropped off the prescription, but they filled the prescription anyway. I've also changed out the elizabethan collar to a muzzle to give her a little more freedom, but take away the ability to chew on herself.

Yes, I am an owner of a dog on anti-depressants! What is the world coming to.

No comments: